How To Stay Warm // Hearty Egg Drop Soup
So according to GMA this morning, it hasn't been this cold in NYC since 1896! Currently the temps are a whopping five degrees and with the windchill factor, it feels like -18! Yes, that was NOT a typo... there is in fact a minus sign in front of the 18. Yikes! What's a girl to do? Well for me, my warm up plan exist of lots of layers, an obscene amount of tea, and this hearty egg drop soup!
I have been making hearty egg drop soup (my own recipe) for about five years now. What started as egg drop soup with spinach, grew into something even more hearty and healthy, with each batch I made. Recently, I final felt as if I have perfected this recipe, and let me tell you.. this is the perfect way to warm up on a day like today. Hearty egg drop soup has become a staple around here for the winter months. Hope you enjoy it!
Click "more..." for the recipe...
- 32 fl oz organic vegetable broth
- 3 Egg whites
- 1 large handful of fresh spinach
- 5 large leafs of kale
- 1/2 can cannellini beans
- 5 sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Pour entire contents of vegetable broth into a large pot, over high heat; bring to boil
- Add egg whites and cook, let sit for 1min, then stir
- Stir in spinach, kale*, beans, and mushrooms; add garlic, pepper, and a dash of salt
- Reduce heat to medium and let cook for 5-7 min; remove from heat and serve (optional: add hot sauce)
* when using large pieces of kale, remove the center stalk (see picture below)