Taco Tuesday's // Pumpkin Chicken Taco's
In my opinion, "Taco Tuesday's" should be mandatory! Street tacos, chicken tacos, carne asada tacos, fish tacos with picked cabbage, the list goes on, and I love them all, but then you add pumpkin into the mix and I start doing my happy dance. Now, I know what you're thinking... pumpkin tacos? ehh, really? But, hear me out... think of the pumpkin as a sauce of sorts, not sweet, but savory, mixed with sautéed chicken breast and jalapeños, creating an amazingly delicious taco, that you will soon be craving again and again!
For this weeks "12 Weeks of Pumpkin" recipe, in honor of my trip to Mexico, and the fact that it just so happens to be "Taco Tuesday", I decided to share with you one of my favorite pumpkin recipes, that I make year after year, Pumpkin Chicken Taco's. Now, I can't take the credit for this fabulous dish, but I can tell you, it has quickly become one of my staples. The original recipe was found via Pinterest, by We Are Not Martha (check out their post for great step by step photos). I pretty much stuck to the recipe but added queso fresco, tomatillo's, and blue corn tortillas. Keep in mind the possibilities are endless with this recipe. You can also remove the chicken all together and added some roasted pumpkin if you're a vegetarian and remove the cheese for those vegans out there.
Whatever you do, just make sure you give it a try, even if your first reaction was huh? I promise you won't be disappointed.
Ingredients: makes 6 (adapted via We Are Not Martha)
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 chicken breast, chopped into bite size
- 1 can pureed pumpkin
- 2 cup frozen corn
- 2 tomatillos, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, chopped (keep seeds if you like an extra kick)
- 6 blue corn tortillas
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Queso fresco for garnish
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat; sauté the peppers and onion; add cumin and chili powder
- In a second pan, add a second tablespoon of olive oil, then chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper; once chicken is thoroughly cooked, add the jalapeños and pumpkin, cook an additional 5 min
- Meanwhile, once peppers are done, remove and place in a bowl, then using the same pan, add frozen corn, and cook over low heat
- Once your corn is cooking and the chicken is almost done, it's time to start the tortillas. I love a crunchy taco, but really it's all about personal preference. Using desired method, prepare your taco shell; set aside and let cool
- Now it's time to make your taco's sparkle. Add the spinach first, then chicken pumpkin, followed by the peppers and onions, then the corn, topped with a few slices of tomatillo and a sprinkle (or two) of queso fresco. And there you have it... a delicious and unexpected taco to enjoy on this lovely Tuesday!