King Crab Legs // Weeknight Dinner
Quick and easy dinners on a week night are a requirement... but that doesn't mean you have to sacrifice on taste! Last night was my first night making King Crab Legs and my first though was, why had I waited so long? Now one downside to crab is it is a little on the expensive side. But every now and then you gotta treat yourself, my love and I try to limit ourselves to one treat per month (something that I have to continuously work on). Anyway, back to the food.... this dish was amazing and took literally a little over 30 mins to make (with prep).
I started off with the potatoes, as they take the longest, the last step was the crab. Something interesting I learned about crab legs in the US is that they are typically already cooked when you buy them even from a fresh fish stand. They're usually cooked right off the boat and then frozen to preserve the flavor, so by the time it gets in our hands, there is not much left to do. I know, not ground breaking information, and most of your probably knew that, but it was news to me, so I thought I would share.
So here is how the King Crab Leg preparation went down... I drenched them in lemon, and in the oven they went for 10 min, and voila! Delicious crab legs were ready to be enjoyed! So simple, right?!? Since I had planed ahead and started the items that would take the longest first, everything ended around the same time, which doesn't always happen, but when it does, I feel so accomplished.
Don't forget the melted butter (for the crab) and a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc... Ah! the perfect summer meal... enjoyed best, outside, just as the sun is setting.
King Crab Legs - Weeknight Dinner:
Shopping List: serves 2
- King crab legs (2 per person)
- Broccolini (4 stalks)
- Red Potatoes (approx. 4-5 sm/md size)
- 2 Lemons
- Butter (for dipping)
- Start with the potatoes. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil, add potatoes and cover. After 10 min, touch with fork and if tender, they are ready to be removed. Let cool completely. Once cooled, cut each potato into 4 parts (more for larger potatoes). Preheat over to 350. Place potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, season with spices of your choice (I used equal parts sage and rosemary), then bake, uncovered, for an additional 5-10min until the skin has a little crunch to it. In the past I always just popped the potatoes right in the oven but this time I found that boiling them first gave me the perfect crunch, without overcooking, that I was looking for.
- Broccolini - Once you place the potatoes in the over, its time to start the broccolini cover with a tablespoon of minced garlic and steam approx. 8 min.
- King Crab Legs - rinse, then place on a large baking sheet. Oven should already be pre-heated from the potatoes. Cut two lemons in half, squeeze the juice over the crab, and place the four halves on the baking sheet. Add a layer of hot water to the baking sheet to help the crab steam to perfection. Cover the entire baking sheet in foil and seal up tight, then place in the oven for 10 mins. That's it... the secret to perfect crab legs!
- Melt butter and enjoy!
Go ahead, give it a try tonight... let me know how it turns out!